The International Thermoelectric Society (ITS) announces the 2012 Goldsmid Award for Excellence in Research in Thermoelectrics by a Graduate Student.
The award is sponsored by Marlow Industries, Inc. and carries a cash prize of one thousand dollars ($1000) and a Descriptive Certificate that will be presented at the Banquet of the 31st International Conference on Thermoelectrics (ICT 2012), in Aalborg, Denmark.
In addition, the 2012 Award will include a US$1000 contribution to the awardee to cover travel and fees for attending ICT 2012, July 9-12, 2012 in Aalborg, Denmark.
Ph.D. candidate graduate student holding a Master Degree or its equivalent who is actively engaged in theoretical, experimental, synthesis or device research in the field of thermoelectrics.
Criteria for selection:
The winner will be chosen from among the applicants by a Selection Panel who will consider the following items:
- Journal Articles with publication dates, acceptance dates or submission dates in the 24 months preceding the conference.
- Presentations at local, national and international meetings as well as invited seminars and colloquia in the same period.
- Letters of reference.
- Other recognition.
The 2012 Goldsmid Award Committee appointed by the ITS President will nominate up to but not exceeding six other non-ITS Board members representing various geographical regions to form the Selection Panel. The Selection Panel will review the nominations and make the final recommendation to the 2012 Goldsmid Award Committee.
Should be sent by email in a pdf file to the Committee Chair Dr. Thierry Caillat,
(firstname.lastname@example.org), and include:
- Letter of nomination from thesis advisor.
- Copies of publications, acceptances or submissions in the last 24 months. First authorship will be factored in.
- Titles and locale of presentations given in the last 24 months.
- Letters of reference (no more than 3)
The Committee Chair must receive applications by:
Applications Due: May 4, 2012
Each panelist will rank the applications using a standardized format that will weigh in the different criteria, and will submit the results to the Committee Chair by e-mail. Ties will be resolved by vote organized by email or by conference call among all Panelists. If there is any difficulty in the winner attending the conference the ITS will endeavor to aid the winner in any way feasible in doing so.
Applications should be emailed to:
Dr. Thierry Caillat, ICT2012 Award Committee Chair
(use Subject: Goldmid Award)