The International Thermoelectric Society (ITS) announces the 2020 Goldsmid Award for Excellence in Research in Thermoelectrics by a Graduate Student.
The award carries a cash prize of one thousand dollars (US$1000) and a descriptive Certificate that will be presented at the Banquet of the 39th International Conference on Thermoelectrics (ICT 2020), from June 28- July 2, 2020 in Seattle, WA. In addition, the award will include a US$1000 contribution to the awardee to cover travel and fees for attending ICT2020.
In addition, up to four Graduate Student Awards of US$500 each will be awarded to runner ups of the Goldsmid Award. These awards follow the same Eligibility and selection criteria for the Goldsmid award and are supported by ITS.
Ph.D. candidate graduate student holding a Master Degree or its equivalent who is actively engaged in theoretical, experimental, synthesis or device research in the field of thermoelectrics.
Criteria for selection:
The winner will be chosen from among the applicants by a Selection Panel who will consider the following items:
- Journal Articles with publication dates, acceptance dates or submission dates in the 24 months preceding the conference.
- Presentations at local, national and international meetings as well as invited seminars and colloquia in the same period.
- Letters of reference.
- Other recognition.
The 2019 Goldsmid Award Committee appointed by the ITS President will nominate up to, but not exceeding, six other non-ITS Board members representing various geographical regions to form the Selection Panel. The Selection Panel will review the nominations and make the final recommendation to the 2019 Goldsmid Award Committee.
Should be sent by email in a pdf file to the Committee Chair Prof. Eric Toberer (email@example.com) and include:
- Letter of nomination from thesis advisor.
- Copies of publications, acceptances or submissions in the last 24 months. First authorship will be factored in.
- Titles, locale and type (oral, invited, poster) of presentations given in the last 24 months.
- Letters of reference (no more than 3)
The Committee Chair must receive applications by: April 19, 2020
Each panelist will rank the applications using a standardized format that will weigh in the different criteria, and will submit the results to the Committee Chair by e-mail. Ties will be resolved by vote organized by email or by conference call among all Panelists. If there is any difficulty in the winner attending the conference the ITS will endeavor to aid the winner in any way feasible in doing so